If you have ever had any type of remodeling done on your home you know that finding the right person can be a challenge. It’s difficult to know where to start and who to reach out to first. Should you secure an interior designer first and then hire a contractor or visa versa?
The short answer is that you can go either way. Most designers are happy to work with all contractors. So if your sister-in-law is a contractor, you can use her as long as she is open to working with a designer. In addition, be sure that the contractor you hire is not just a friend, but a talented professional as well. Keep in mind that a designer will come up with the vision and specify the materials, but the contractor has to do the work, so be sure they are a true craftsman/woman. Learn more about our design services here.
Skills To Look For In A Designer
- Creativity. They need to be able to come up with creative solutions to your perceived problems.
- Good communication is key. They need to communicate with you, the client, and the contractor, and the subcontractors.
- Designers should be organized, patient, and resourceful.
- Their job is to ensure the job is completed in a timely manner and to your specifications.
- Meticulous record keeping is a must. They need to keep track of orders, payments, and budgets.
- They need to be good listeners and conceive designs that address your needs.
The next question you are probably asking yourself is, “Can’t I just use a contractor and forgo interior design altogether?” The simple answer is “of course”. You may have a great eye and enjoy selecting materials for your home, but before you jump in, here are some things to consider prior to making that decision.
Interior Designer vs. Contractor
- Most contractors do not want to make design decisions. They are pros at implementing not designing.
- Designers understand the process and which decisions need to be made first.
- We have formal training in space planning, design development, kitchen and bath design, color, and many other areas pertaining to construction and your home, therefore, we are skilled at putting together materials for a cohesive look.
- Good designers are creative problem solvers and focus on details that most homeowners don’t consider.
- Interior Design includes creating custom pieces for your home. ie: kitchen islands, furniture, or built-ins.
- The design team is responsible for overseeing the entire project and making sure it comes in on time and within budget.
In short, Interior Design is for everyone. It is no longer a service reserved for the wealthy. Consulting with a designer can save time and money in the long run by preventing costly mistakes down the road. We enjoy working with both first-time home buyers and seasoned homeowners. If you are considering buying a home to remodel or selling your current home, please reach out. We are happy to answer any questions.
You can learn more about our real estate services here. We are a team of Arizona Real Estate Agents and Interior Designers.